Saturday, January 18, 2014

Grandma Stotts Funeral

 Grandma Bessie passed away a day after we left Missoula Montana.  Arlene was rubbing her leg and she moaned like it felt good and she was able to pass to the next life.  Rick was so upset.  I don't think he was expecting for it to hit him that hard.  Cathy had to be the one to call us because Rick couldn't talk.  Bessie had a burial spot in Choteau MT next to her sweetheart Lee and her daughters Trudy and Pauline (Trudy and Pauline died in a family car accident when they were only teenagers.  Grandma was driving and Judy, Trudy, Pauline, Rick and Penny were all in the truck.  Grandma was in a coma and missed both of her daughters funeral.  It was an extremely sad ordeal) and she was also buried by Jason's brother Jeremy. 
 Choteau is an extremely cute little town where everyone is friendly and waves at each other.  They have this little area in town where they have some dinosaur dummies that the kids just loved.



 I was able to meet some of Ricks cousins that lived in Choteau.  In the picture above we are at Ladora's house.  LaDora is an avid collector of absolutely everything.  Her house was like an museum.  In this picture from left to right we have Darlene, Penny, Rick, Sandy, LaDora, DeAnne, Jim, Bess, Cathy, Arlene and Mica. Choteau is a grizzly bear place.  Bears haven't always been around that area but just recently they have moved in and people have to be alert when their kids are outside. 
Some people feel its extremely morbid to take pictures at a funeral/viewing.  I find taking pictures of these events needed in the healing process.  Death shouldn't be something that we tuck away deep inside.  It should be a time for growth and bettering oneself.  I love this picture of Penny and Rick spending time with their Mother.  I was asked and given the honor and privilege of dressing Bessie along side of Arlene, Libby (Arlene's daughter) and Penny.  It was a really beautiful experience.  I knew the order of everything that was suppose to be done because its only been a few months since I dressed my own mother.  Penny's heart was just breaking and I wished I could have taken away her pain.  I wish I could have taken away my own pain.
 Here is a partial family photo.  I'm not sure where Toni or Rick and Cathy were, but I sure wish they were in the photo as well as all the grand kids. 
                                                               Jason and his sisters. 
 Bessie had her whole funeral planned.  She had written down what songs were to be sung and who the speakers were to be.  Rick was one the speakers she had planned to talk.  He did a great job!
 For it being January, the weather sure did cooperate.  We should have been freezing cold, but it was in the 50's with no wind and the sun shining.  It was a beautiful day to lay Grandma to rest. 

No comments: